Thursday 30 January 2014

Time Art - My Ideas

My 3 Ideas:

1.
I had this idea where on each screen you will see one person; close up shot of the torso, barely showing neck and waist. The first person on the left is holding an old book, looks nostalgic and dusty. When they open the book, a memory appears to be coming out of the book, almost magically. The book, still in view whilst the memory is playing controls whether the memory can be seen or not. As the person closes the book the memory closes with it. The person then hands the book to the next person who is on the next screen. With the same motion as the person in the previous screen, the person opens the book again and another memory will play and close. The memory will be a different type of memory, maybe something that person didn't particularly want to remember, like they're scarred. They might have one arm, opening the book, and the memory is of them losing the arm. The third with the same motion, different memory. Each of them are 3-3 and a half minutes long, enough time for a decent visual of a memory for each person.
I cannot honestly tell you where I got the inspiration from to do this, it was more like a vision I had. In all fairness I could of chosen any object for the memories to come out of, but I chose the book. I chose the book because the book has depth to it. The knowledge you can get from books is like no other source. The power of your mind reaches its peak, allowing your imagination to run wild and free, the possibilities are limitless. By choosing the book this allowed me to create any memory I wanted to. So I've thought carefully and chose to go with 3 different types of memories; one for each person; one happy, one sad, and one hopeful.
I want to create an effect like the ones I have found below regarding the book, almost magical transactions occurring. I was torn with what colour the background should be in the final video(s), either black or white. I chose white because the colour white to me is more free and never-ending, I just feel that the colour black will restrict me from a few shots, and it wouldn't really work with a happy memory, whereas the colour white can be interpreted in many different ways; new possibilities, the light at the end of the tunnel, the start of a new life, practically anything.













The apparatus that I desire to execute this video instillation are the following:

  • Standard Camera x3
  • Tripod
  • Green Screen
  • 3 participants
  • A book (prop)
  • Editing Software such as Adobe Premier
  • After Effects

Because I need a green screen I would shoot my footage in a studio on campus, so I will need to hire out a studio. To get the desired look I want of the book I will stain the pages using tea bags, give them a few rips to look more nostalgic, as if it's been in the hands of a lot of people.
I will also film the memories coming out of the book using the standard camera in different locations. I will then use After Effects to execute the transaction of when the book is opened and when the dream is played.
Shooting would take place on Monday 17th February. The Location would be in a studio situated on campus. That's IF I can hire out a studio. If I am unfortunate to do so I will book it on the next available date. The shots will take a day in the studio to master, to get the timing right and to get the motions right, so the majority of the day will be practice until we get the perfect footage.
I will film the memories in locations such as a nearby field (there's plenty around here), a nearby road (not a busy road, just any road will be fine) and in a room in a house. All memories will be shot in POV, to engage the audience more.
The memory that will take place in the field will be a happy memory, maybe a young couple laying down enjoying one another's company.
The memory that will take place on a nearby road will be a memory that has effected you tremendously. Picture someone on their bicycle riding along when suddenly they fall into the road. They injure themselves quite badly, but then they see a car coming towards them and it looks like they can't slow down properly. They start honking their horn, the closer they get the louder the horn gets, and as soon as they get real close up the memory fades to white.
The memory that will take place in a house will be of a mother, nursing her new born son. (I'm not going to use a real baby, I will use a prosthetic one which will look somewhat realistic). Her partner will walk in, stand over the mother and new born, kiss the mother on the head, maybe the baby too, then walk off as the mother smiles and gazes out of the window. I could have a scene where as soon as the memory finishes the baby you saw in the memory will appear in the actual video, only difference is that the baby will be a little older, holding onto the mothers hand when she shuts the book.
The shooting for the memories will take place on Tuesday 18th February, giving us plenty time to master the effects and editing that is greatly needed.


******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************




2.
There is a person in each of the screens, all of them holding pieces of cardboard. In the background will be a time-lapse of busy places with lots of people. All 3 of them will turn each card around to the camera simultaneously. The card will show the viewer a message. Each person will tell their own story. The viewer won't be able to read all the messages at once, so I figured it will give the video some sort of replay value. The messages, that I haven't properly finished yet, will be short, yet powerful, keeping the audience's attention. In the end all of their cards read the same message "Time Waits For No Man". Each story will be linked to this phrase, giving different angles and perspectives on it.





3.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Picture 3 screens. The 2 outside screens are filled with stars from outer space, and in the middle you can see the world as a planet. Using after effects, I will spin the world, slowly, making it look kind of real. You will see stars slowly come in and out of frame, entering the next screen either on the left or the right. The globe starts to spin faster, more vigorously, again to make it look realistic I will move stars and other objects in sync with the world's spin to show the gravitational pull. Again the world gets faster and faster and eventually the world will unravel, like a carpet would, and at the start the countries will be how they were when the world first started, and then they slowly move apart, slowly spreading onto the other screens until they are in their correct geographical locations they are set in today. I was thinking of maybe including some video clips of evolution, as the world is spinning to show how fast the world is evolving. The clips would be semi-transparent, slowly gliding through each screen, as the world and stars are spinning.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment