Sunday 23 March 2014

Sounds

The image I was given is titled "My Bed" and it's a piece by Tracey Emin. This piece of Artwork straight away gave me the impression of laziness, tiredness, perhaps no sense of hygiene and oddly relaxation. The rubbish scattered on the floor around the bed shows us incompetence, lack of organisation, even lack of skill. But if we look into the artwork deeper it gave me the impression of stress-free, a sense of happiness, just casual chill time. It really depends on your perception on it. My perception of the artwork will be shown in my sound project. I'll talk you through it.
Firstly it will start off with a person snoring, continuously to show the audience that the person is in a deep sleep. All of a sudden an alarm goes off, the alarm is very "alarming" almost instantly waking up the person from the deep sleep. The person, annoyed that they have been woken up by such a dreadful noise, can be heard trying to turn the alarm off, eventually the frustrated sleepy head accomplishes this. There is a short silence, followed by a short sigh. The person will now feel relaxed. I want to interpret the song by Bruno Mars called "The Lazy Song" and I want to somehow incorporate that song into my piece. So I figured I could have the person subtly sing one of the famous lines of lyric from the song; "Today I don't feel like doing anything" followed by a faint whistle (as the song also contains whistling) "I just want to lay in my bed".
This will be followed by a slightly longer silence. Then I will have the person sneeze, cough, eat something that has a noisy wrapper, drink something from a glass bottle, then blow into the glass bottle to give us that whistle-like sound. With these simple sounds I will attempt to recreate "The Lazy Song" with the subtle lyrics sung (not very well) by the person who is still in the bed. This will carry on until the audience can hear a phone start to ring. All the noises stop and the person answers the phone. On the other end of the phone call is his mum, asking how uni was, and the person will lie through his teeth and then continue to have a normal conversation with her. They will continue the conversation and then it will slowly fade away.
I tried to recreate the famous song but once I put it all together it didn't sound right personally, so I scrapped that part of the idea and decided to add a bit of humour into it instead.
I also inputted a lady presenting the weather forecast, which will give the audience an idea of what the weather is like outside, you can also hear the ran hit on the window to emphasise what she is saying. I fall in and out of sleep and get woken up by various things, at the end I receive a phone call from my Mum, and I explain how I was at uni, and everything is going well. The sounds slowly fade out in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment